DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION SUPPORT SERVICES
The Department of Education Support Services (DESS) was created to coordinate, manage and implement academic content-based intervention programmes of the Fund for Public Tertiary Institutions in the Country.
The Department is charged with the responsibility of implementing non-infrastructural Special Interventions of the Fund such as the National Research Fund (NRF), Higher Education Book Development Fund (BDF) and Boy Child Education Programme which were established by the Board of Trustees (BoT) of the Fund to address peculiar national challenges in the area of research, paucity of academic textbooks, reading materials and ugly trend of boy-child drop-out from school, prevalent in the South-East zone of the Country.
2.0 THE MAJOR FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION SUPPORT SERVICES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Advising the Management and the BoT on all academic and research based TETFund intervention programmes / projects;
- Coordination, management and implementation of all TETFund academic and research-based intervention programmes in beneficiary institutions;
- Receiving and processing of submissions/proposals from beneficiaries for disbursement with respect to the following:
- Library Development
- Book Development Fund(PAJ, APC, Higher Education Manuscripts)
- Institution Based Research
- National Research Fund
- Academic Manuscript into Books Development
- Academic Research Journal
- Initiating policies with respect to academic and research based TETFund interventions;
- Development and maintenance of data bank on TETFund academic and research–based intervention projects/programmes;
- Verification visits to projects/programmes coordinated and managed by ESS Department;
Serves as Secretariat to the following TETFund Board Committees:
. National Research Fund Screening & Monitoring Committee (NRFS&MC);
. Technical Advisory Group (TAG)
4. Representing TETFund in the National Education Policy formulating meetings (i.e. JCCE/NCE meetings) and in any National Education Development, Improvement and Research Implementation projects; and
5. Performing any other duty as may be assigned by the Executive Secretary of TETFund.
2.2 LIBRARY DEVELOPMENT
- Under the Library Intervention, the Fund provided reading materials, teaching and learning resources to public tertiary institutions;
- The Fund also promoted and funded ICT applications through the provision of e-library and procurement/subscription of books and journals.
- The staff of the department witnessed several Tender/Bid opening exercises.
2.3 INSTITUTION BASED RESEARCH (IBR)
The IBR intervention which was introduced in 2009 has enhanced basic academic research in Public tertiary institutions, as one of the core academic activities which had been abandoned in favour of teaching due to paucity of funds. The ceiling sum of N2 million is earmarked per project based on the Allocation for each of the Beneficiary Institution.
2.4 ACADEMIC MANUSCRIPT DEVELOPMENT (AMB) INTERVENTION
This intervention enables Lecturers to develop and produce their academic manuscripts into textbooks through funds made available to the institutions on an annual basis. It is aimed at ensuring the production and availability of relevant academic textbooks for teaching and learning in Nigeria’s tertiary institutions.
2.5 ACADEMIC/RESEARCH JOURNALS (ARJ) INTERVENTION
This initiative is aimed at reviving and encouraging the publication of quality academic journals based on research findings conducted by lecturers in our public tertiary institutions.
2.6 NATIONAL RESEARCH FUND (NRF)
- Since inception, seventy-four (74) approved research projects have commenced and are on-going in different parts of the Country; and
- The Department has, in conjunction with the NRFS&MC verified projects under 2012 and 2013 (Batches 1 & 2 respectively) and the Fund has disbursed 2nd tranche of funds for the projects.
- 2016 Proposals and have gone through all stages of screening and the final report indicating the final fundable projects has been submitted to by the Chairman of the NRFS&MC and is awaiting final review and approval by the BoT of the Fund. NRFS&MC inaugurated in August 2017.
2.7 BOOK DEVELOPMENT FUND (BDF)
- Since inception, various Associations have benefitted from the Intervention in different parts of the Country.
- The Technical Advisory Group (TAG), which is the committee on Book Development were inaugurated in August 2017.